Rétromobile

VUE 16

 
vue 02vue 03vue 04
vue 05vue 06vue 07vue 08
vue 09vue 10vue 11vue 12
vue 13vue 14vue 15vue 16
vue 17vue 18vue 19vue 20
vue 21vue 22vue 23vue 24
vue 25vue 26vue 27vue 28
vue 29

Lot 215
1937 BUGATTI TYPE 57 C ATALANTE N° chassis 57756

Depuis 1927, année du lancement de la Bugatti Type 44, le constructeur avait orienté ses productions vers des modèles plus civilisés, davantage destinés au tourisme rapide qu'au sport. Cette huit-cylindres simple arbre à moteur trois litres, souple et silencieux, avait évolué sous la forme de la Type 49 à moteur 3,3 litres, moins sportive, mais encore plus confortable, tandis que la puissante Type 46 ou " petite Royale " visait le marché du grand luxe. Elle apparut malheureusement juste avant la crise née aux Etats-Unis fin 1929 et les volumes de vente restèrent limités. Sur le segment du grand tourisme, la 49 apparaissait comme le meilleur compromis, mais sa technique vieillissait vite en ce début des années 1930, tandis que ses performances souffraient souvent du poids excessif des carrosseries de plus en plus confortables exigées par la majorité de sa clientèle. Fin 1931, il devint nécessaire de créer une remplaçante à la Type 49 et sa conception dut beaucoup à Jean Bugatti, convaincu qu'il fallait adopter des solutions modernes que proposaient déjà des constructeurs de voitures beaucoup plus modestes telles que les roues avant indépendantes, le montage en bloc du moteur et de la boîte de vitesses, les carrosseries tout acier, les freins hydrauliques, etc. Sur le premier point, Jean n'eut pas gain de cause, mais il imposa à son père la distribution à deux arbres à cames en tête par cascade de pignons avec deux bougies par cylindre (apparue sur la puissante Type 50 de 1930), le bloc moteur-boîte avec embrayage à disque unique à sec, et l'allègement du châssis. Ettore Bugatti avait maintenu l'architecture à huit cylindres en ligne et la culasse non détachable, l'essieu avant rigide et (provisoirement) les freins à câbles. Présentée au Salon de Paris 1933, la Type 57 séduisit les fanatiques de la marque. Le gain de puissance par rapport à la Type 49 de cylindrée égale était de 25 ch, mais le couple supérieur et les montées en régime plus rapides permettaient soit une conduite souple et détendue, soit une conduite nettement sportive. Trois styles de carrosserie furent définis par l'usine : la berline quatre portes sans montant central Galibier, le coach Ventoux et le cabriolet Stelvio. Livrée à partir d'avril 1934, la Bugatti 57 affirma aussitôt ses qualités de grande routière face à des machines aussi performantes que la nouvelle Delahaye 138 Superluxe et les Talbot Lago de cylindrée comparable.
Au Salon de 1935, la Bugatti 57 bénéficia de divers perfectionnements concernant le châssis dont les qualités de rigidité et de tenue de route étaient unanimement reconnues en dépit des deux essieux rigides. Et comme le moteur semblait susceptible d'être développé, le constructeur, fort de son expérience en compétition, le dota d'un compresseur Roots sur le Type 57 C d'octobre 1936. Avec 160 ch, la " 57 " atteignait désormais 175 km/h et Jean Bugatti prêcha en faveur de versions plus sportives. Déjà fin 1935, il avait ajouté au catalogue la carrosserie Atalante, un strict coupé deux places plus légèrement carrossé qui atteignit au sublime sur le châssis surbaissé 57 S apparu en 1936. Son prix et sa mécanique spéciale en firent une voiture d'exception, avec ou sans compresseur. Au Salon de 1937, la 57 fut proposée avec des freins hydrauliques Lockheed et des amortisseurs télescopiques hydrauliques. La majorité des Atalante furent donc des 57 ou 57 C (non surbaissées) construites par l'usine de 1936 à 1938, ce style de carrosserie étant abandonné en cours d'année, car probablement trop peu demandé. Un client intéressé par une Atalante pouvait donc faire exécuter sa carrosserie chez Gangloff, carrossier officiel de Bugatti, ou récupérer une caisse existante. C'est cette seconde solution que choisit Jérome Médrano, premier propriétaire de la voiture proposée ici.



Propriétaire et directeur du célèbre cirque parisien portant son nom, Jérome Medrano avait le goût des très belles automobiles et les moyens de les posséder. En août 1938, il commanda à l'usine un châssis 57 C doté des plus récents perfectionnements et parvint à se procurer une carrosserie type Atalante que l'usine ne fabriquait plus.

Cette carrosserie avait été construite au début de 1937 pour habiller un châssis Type 57 (n° 57554) commandé par un industriel alsacien du textile, M. Marcel Wagner de Sélestat. La voiture fut immatriculée le 15 juin 1937 sous le numéro 7917 NV3. Peinte en bleu marine et garnie en cuir havane, cette voiture à carrosserie en aluminium servit à illustrer le catalogue Bugatti. Ces finitions seront conservées jusque dans les années 1950.
M. Wagner n'utilisa sa voiture qu'un an et la revendit à l'été 1938 à Paris où elle fut immatriculée le 21 juin sous le numéro 2930 RL8 (département de la Seine). Elle fut probablement reprise à cette époque par le Garage Roger Teillac, avenue de Suffren à Paris. C'est à ce moment que Jérome Médrano désira acheter une 57 coupé deux places Atalante, mais l'atelier de carrosserie de l'usine en arrêtait la fabrication. Il commanda néanmoins un châssis Type 57 C n° 57756 à moteur 53 C car il avait trouvé une solution pour la carrosserie.

Jérome Médrano avait fait la connaissance de Roger Teillac quand ce dernier était chef d'atelier du garage Gaborit, 57 avenue Bugeaud. Il avait fait sa connaissance par l'intermédiaire de son ami Jean Chiappe, préfet de police de Paris, qui résidait au 51 de la dite avenue. Médrano avait acheté à Gaborit sa première Bugatti, une Type 35 B de course au volant de laquelle il s'illustra dans quelques courses de côte en 1932. Roger Teillac devint son mécanicien personnel, assurant l'entretien et le transport de la voiture sur le site des épreuves. Jérome Médrano sollicita donc ses conseils quand il voulut acheter une Bugatti de grand tourisme en 1938. Roger Teillac venait de racheter la Bugatti Atalante ex Wagner, voiture qu'il utilisa brièvement pendant l'été 1938 comme le prouve une photo de 2930 RL8 prise à l'époque. Lorsque le châssis 57 C n° 57756 fut livré, Roger Teillac déposa la caisse Atalante du châssis 57554 pour la remonter sur le châssis neuf à freins hydrauliques de Medrano. Le transfert de la carrosserie a dû être effectué à l'automne 1938. Il se peut qu'une boîte Cotal ait été installée à ce moment-là car Jérome Medrano a confirmé voir utilisé la voiture avec ce type de transmission adaptable au châssis Type 57. (On notera aussi que le numéro 2930 RL8 du châssis 57554 fut également transféré sur le châssis 57756. Ce numéro qui figurait sur le document administratif établi à Strasbourg lors de la vente par Wagner en 1938 se retrouve sur le document de police du châssis 57756 émis à Paris en 1951 lors de la réimmatriculation dans le nouveau système inauguré en 1950.)
Jérome Medrano avait donc commandé son châssis 57 C pour y installer la caisse Atalante de 57554 qu'il conservera jusqu'à nos jours. Il en profite pour apporter quelques modifications dans le goût de l'époque comme il l'a précisé : " J'ai fait installer les phares carénés et des antibrouillard Bosch dans les bouts d'ailes. Les deux photos la montrent devant l'atelier de Bugatti à Levallois. La voiture était bleue d'origine. Elle a été revendue par moi telle que sur les photos. " On remarquera aussi le bouchon de radiateur à ouverture rapide inventé par Bugatti que le constructeur féru d'équitation échangea à Medrano contre des chambrières et des cravaches de dresseur.

Jérome Medrano, engagé dans les forces américaines, vécut de 1946 à 1950 aux Etats-Unis où il utilisa sa Bugatti sous plaques californiennes. Il vendit la voiture après son retour en 1951 après avoir passé une petite annonce dans la revue l'Action automobile et touristique : (Bugatti Atalante 57 C bte Cotal, parf. état et bateau 6 places. Médrano 72 ter r. des Martyrs. Tru. 09 73 ".

Immatriculée le 2 août 1951 sous le numéro 233 AP 75, elle appartenait aux Ets Jean-Louis Baehler à Paris 14e. Deux ans plus tard, elle fut cédée à Georges Soulas, industriel à Paris qui en confia l'entretien à Henri Novo, ancien mécanicien du garage Teillac. Lorsqu'une bielle cassa le carter, la voiture n'avait pas 80 000 km. Rachetée à l'automne 1956 par un jeune étudiant ingénieur, Jean-Paul Monceau, elle reçut un nouveau bloc moteur provenant d'un bugattiste suédois, Peter Taube. Seul le demi-carter supérieur fut changé par Novo en mars 1957. À cette date, l'Atalante avait encore sa boîte Cotal et son compresseur qui furent déposés et conservés par Henri Novo qui fournit une pipe d'admission pour carburateur vertical et une boîte mécanique. Jean-Paul Monceau dont la famille exploitait une carrosserie à Clamecy se chargea de remonter le moteur dans la voiture et de la réfection de la peinture, " bleu Oceano Nox " de chez Astral avec flèche rouge. La voiture immatriculée 174 BR 58 le 30 janvier 1958 au nom de Jean-Paul Monceau fut revendue à l'été 1961 à un amateur belge.

Elle revint en France dans les années 1970 par l'intermédiaire du négociant Claude Renel, en provenance de la collection Georges Marquet. Pendant son séjour en Belgique, le moteur de l'Atalante 53 C fut changé pour le 20 C provenant d'un cabriolet Stelvio (57606) vendu neuf en Belgique au pilote Georges Bouriano. Après quelques travaux, la voiture participa au rallye du Centenaire Bugatti en Alsace en 1981. Au décès du propriétaire, la voiture fut conservée par la famille jusqu'à aujourd'hui.

Carte grise française



Since 1927, the year that the Bugatti Type 44 was launched, the manufacturer had geared its production towards more civilised models intended more for fast travel than for sport. This single shaft eight-cylinder model with a three litre engine, smooth and silent, had developed in the form of the 3.3 litre engine Type 49, which was less sporty but even more comfortable, while the powerful Type 46 or "Little Royal" was aimed at the high-end luxury market. Unfortunately, it was launched just before the crisis that began in the US at the end of 1929, and sales volumes were limited. In the long-distance touring sector, the 49 appeared to be the best compromise. However, its technology was ageing rapidly in the early 1930s, while its performance often suffered as a result of the excessive weight of the increasingly luxurious bodywork demanded by most customers. In late 1931, it became necessary to create a replacement for the Type 49. Its design owed much to Jean Bugatti, who was convinced that it was necessary to adopt modern solutions already offered by manufacturers of much more modest cars, such as independent front wheels, block assembly of the engine and gearbox, bodywork entirely in steel, hydraulic brakes, etc. Jean did not win the case on the first point, but he persuaded his father to introduce distribution with two overhead camshafts via a series of cogs with two spark plugs per cylinder (this appeared on the powerful Type 50 in 1930), the engine-gearbox block with dry single-disc clutch and the lightening of the chassis. Ettore Bugatti maintained the straight eight-cylinder architecture and the non-detachable cylinder head, the rigid front axle and (provisionally) the cable brakes. Presented at the 1933 Paris Motor Show, the Type 57 went down well with fans of the brand. The power gained in comparison with the Type 49, which had the same engine size, and was 25 hp, but the superior torque and the faster acceleration allowed only either smooth and relaxed driving or very sporty driving. Three bodywork styles were defined by the factory: the Galibier four-door saloon without a central strut, the Ventoux coach and the Stelvio convertible. Delivered from April 1934 onwards, the Bugatti 57 immediately affirmed its qualities as a large touring car compared with such high-performance machines as the new Delahaye 138 Superluxe and the Talbot Lago, which had a comparable engine size.
At the 1935 Motor Show, the Bugatti 57 benefited from various improvements relating to the chassis, whose qualities in terms of rigidity and road holding were unanimously recognised, despite the two rigid axles. As the engine appeared open to development, the manufacturer, taking advantage of its experience at competitive events, equipped it with a Roots compressor on the Type 57 C in October 1936. At 160 hp, the "57" could then reach 175 km/h, and Jean Bugatti spoke out in favour of more sporty versions. As early as the end of 1935, he had added to the catalogue the Atalante bodywork, a plain two-seater coupé with lighter bodywork that achieved the sublime with the 57 S lowered chassis that appeared in 1936. Its price and special mechanics made it an exceptional car, with or without a compressor. At the 1937 Motor Show, the 57 was presented with Lockheed hydraulic brakes and hydraulic telescopic shock absorbers. Most Atalante models were therefore 57 or 57 C models (not lowered) produced by the factory between 1936 and 1938, with this style of bodywork being abandoned during the year, probably because demand was too low. A customer who was interested in an Atalante could thus have the bodywork built by Gangloff, the official bodywork specialist for Bugatti, or could take over the existing bodywork. Jérome Médrano, the first owner of the car presented here, opted for the second solution.



The owner and director of the famous Paris circus bearing his name, Jérome Medrano had a taste for very beautiful cars and the means to own them. In August 1938, he ordered from the factory a 57 C chassis equipped with the latest improvements and managed to procure a body of the Atalante type that the factory was no longer producing.

This body had been built in early 1937 to cover a Type 57 chassis (No. 57554) ordered by an Alsatian textile manufacturer, Mr Marcel Wagner of Sélestat. The car was registered on 15 June 1937 under the number 7917 NV3. Painted navy blue and fitted with Havana leather, this car with aluminium bodywork was used to illustrate the Bugatti catalogue. Its finishings were kept until the 1950s.
Mr Wagner used his car for only one year and sold it again in summer 1938 in Paris, where it was registered on 21 June under the number 2930 RL8 (department of La Seine). It was probably taken over at that time by the Roger Teillac garage on avenue de Suffren in Paris. It was at this time that Jérome Médrano wanted to buy an Atalante two-seater 57 coupé, but the factory's body workshop stopped producing it. He nevertheless ordered a Type 57 C chassis No. 57756 for a 53 C engine, as he had found a solution for the bodywork.

Jérome Médrano had met Roger Teillac when the latter was the foreman at the Gaborit garage at 57 avenue Bugeaud. He became acquainted with him through his friend Jean Chiappe, the Paris chief of police, who lived at number 51 on the same street. Médrano had bought his first Bugatti from Gaborit, a racing version of the Type 35 B, at the wheel of which he won fame at several hill-climbing events in 1932. Roger Teillac became his personal mechanic, taking care of the maintenance of the car and its transportation to the site of events. Jérome Médrano therefore sought his advice when he wanted to buy a Bugatti for long-distance touring in 1938. Roger Teillac had just bought the Bugatti Atalante from Mr Wagner and used the car briefly during the summer of 1938, as shown by a photograph of the car with the number 2930 RL8 taken at the time. When chassis 57 C No. 57756 was delivered, Roger Teillac removed the Atalante body from chassis 57554 in order to reassemble it on Medrano's new chassis with hydraulic brakes. The transfer of the bodywork must have been carried out in the autumn of 1938. It is possible that a Cotal gearbox may have been installed at that point, as Jérome Medrano confirmed that he had seen the car used with this type of transmission, which could be adapted to the Type 57 chassis. (We would also like you to note that the number 2930 RL8 of chassis 57554 was also transferred to chassis 57756. This number, shown on the administrative document drawn up in Strasbourg at the time of the sale by Mr Wagner in 1938, can be found on the police document for chassis 57756 issued in Paris in 1951 when the car was re-registered in the new system introduced in 1950).
Jérome Medrano therefore ordered his 57 C chassis in order to install the Atalante body 57554, which he would keep until the present day. He took advantage of this to make a few alterations in keeping with the tastes of the time, as he stated: "I had the streamlined headlights and Bosch fog lamps installed at the ends of the wings. The two photographs show it in front of the Bugatti workshop in Levallois. The car was blue originally. I resold it as seen in the photographs." We can also see the quick-opening radiator cap invented by Bugatti, which the manufacturer, who was keen on horse-riding, exchanged for cart-props and trainers' riding crops at Mr Medrano's request.

Jérome Medrano, who was enlisted by the US armed forces, lived in the United States from 1946 to 1950, where he used his Bugatti with Californian number plates. After his return in 1951, he sold the car after placing a small advertisement in the magazine L'Action automobile et touristique: (Bugatti Atalante 57 C Cotal gearbox, perfect condition and 6-seater boat. Médrano 72 ter r. des Martyrs. Tru. 09 73".

Registered on 2 August 1951 under the number 233 AP 75, it belonged to Ets Jean-Louis Baehler in the 14th district of Paris. Two years later, it was sold to Georges Soulas, a manufacturer based in Paris, who entrusted the maintenance of the car to Henri Novo, a mechanic who had previously worked at the Teillac garage. The car did not yet have 80,000 km on the clock when a connecting rod broke the sump. Purchased in the autumn of 1956 by a young engineering student, Jean-Paul Monceau, it was given a new engine block that came from a Swedish Bugatti collector, Peter Taube. Only the upper half of the sump was changed by Mr Novo in March 1957. At that time, the Atalante still had its Cotal gearbox and its compressor, which were removed and kept by Henri Novo, who added a vertical carburettor intake pipe and a manual gearbox. Jean-Paul Monceau, whose family ran a coachbuilder's workshop in Clamecy, took on the task of reinstalling the engine in the car and repairing the "Oceano Nox blue" paintwork from Astral, with a red arrow. The car was registered under the number 174 BR 58 on 30 January 1958 in Jean-Paul Monceau's name and resold in the summer of 1961 to a Belgian enthusiast.

It returned to France in the 1970s through the dealer Claude Renel, coming from the collection of Georges Marquet. During its stay in Belgium, the Atalante 53 C engine was changed for a 20 C from a Stelvio convertible (57606) sold new in Belgium to the racing driver Georges Bouriano. After undergoing some work, the car took part in the Bugatti Centenary rally in Alsace in 1981. Upon the death of its owner, the car was kept by the family until it was sold on 14 February 2010 until today.

French title


Estimation 550 000 - 650 000 €
Sold for 579,966 €
Email Lot

Sale Information

Sale: 1957
Location: Salon Rétromobile, Paris
Date: 4 Feb 2011 14:00
Comments
Sessions
Automobilia, Motorcycles, Watches 2pm: Lots 1-176
Classic & Racing Cars 7pm: Lots 201-End

Auctioneer: Hervé Poulain

Videos
Watch all VideosWatch all Videos

Press Release
Press Release (pdf)

Viewing Information

2 February, 11am-10pm
3 February, 10am-5pm
4 February, 10am-

Salon Rétromobile
Hall 7.3 + 7.1
Paris Expo Porte de Versailles
75015 Paris

Catalogue

Download PDF Catalogue
Order Catalogue

Contact Information


Phone: +33 1 42 99 20 56

Bid Department


Phone: +33 1 42 99 20 51
Fax: +33 1 42 99 20 60

Conditions of Purchase

View Conditions

My Account

Login
Register to Bid Live, to place Bids online, Track items of specific interest. Thanks to Artcurial LotAlert, you can be informed by e-mail as soon as an object you are looking for comes up for sale

RSS Feed

Auction Schedule rss

 

Artcurial